Friday, January 12, 2007

The Ice Storm of 2007, dyeing wool, white sweaters, my boring life, church-hoppers, and Verdun

Ice storm today! I was headed to work, but I got to about 63rd and Portland before I turned around and came back home. We've got about 1/2 inch of sleet on top of the ice. According to Channel 5, it won't get above freezing until next Thursday. Looks like I'll be doing a good bit of knitting and reading this weekend. It'll be nice to have a 4-day weekend. Hopefully, I'll be able to get some studying in for my grad class that starts next week.

I tried dyeing some of the nasty yellow WoolEase Sportweight this afternoon. I used red, green, and blue food dyes. The green and blue looked just alike - a yucky greyish-green. The red turned out possibly okay, though. It's kind of a coral-peach color. I'll have to try it with real dye to tell, but it looked better at first. Stinking acrylic...why do I keep buying this stuff when I have such nice recycled wool in my stash?

I'm still trying to decide what to do with my white wool. Maybe a cardigan would be nice. But it will have to have some cables or something to keep my interest, because I'm not about to knit a square yard of stockinette.

I have such a boring life. I get up, go to work, come home, hang out a bit, knit a bit, then go to bed. My life is almost exactly what it was five years ago. Years ago, I saw myself as the married with 2.6 kids type, but the life I've been given is anything but housewife-y. I don't even know any single guys, let alone have a boyfriend. Oh well. I suppose I should do the best I have with what I've got. But is this the way the rest of my life is going to be?

The other night, our church get-together was a few couples...and me. Now, the couples are great people and great friends, but there's still an awkwardness that is inevitable in certain combinations of people. I've thought about changing churches, but I don't want to. My pastor is an incredible Bible teacher, and I've made some great friends there. Besides, that's not what church is about. I don't want to become another church-skipper looking for my "other half."

My dad's just been reading about World War I. At the Battle of Verdun, over half a million people died. I can't imagine it. And we think 3,000 fatalities in a three-year war is too heavy. Not to minimize the loss of any family who lost a son or daughter - I lost a cousin last March - but we really need to look at this in a historical perspective.

Boy, I'm long-winded tonight...

No comments: