Saturday, January 13, 2007

Ice Storm 2007 Update

Well, we're up to 630 closings and delays due to the ice storm so far; one of the closings was my church. So it looks like I'll be going to church with Mum and Dad tomorrow, since their church has one combined service tomorrow.

Why do I go to a different church than my parents? It's a little hard to explain. First, let me say that I have the highest regard for my parents' church. Their pastor is a Godly man who teaches straight from the Word every Sunday. The people there are great - what you see with them is what you get. Sure, there are a few issues now and then, but it's nothing major, and love and truth win out in the end.

However, there are only a few people at that church who are my age (and by my age, I mean within 5 years either way) who are serious about their faith. After high school graduation, it seems like everyone bails on their faith. Hopefully the new youth pastor will help change this, but that's the way it has been for the past few years.

I was brought up in a Christian home and was homeschooled or went to Christian schools until I graduated from college. My work environment is the first non-Christian environment I've ever experienced. I had no idea how challenging it would be to live for Christ all by myself - the only other Christians where I work are, shall we say, rather harsh in their dealings with others. I really needed some brothers and sisters in Christ who I could connect with at church. At my parents' church, I didn't have anyone like that.

So I've been going to another church for the past two years. It's a church that was planted by my parents' church, so there's a good deal of "flow" between the two. Since it's near several colleges, there are lots more people my age. I've gotten to be good friends with them, encouraging and being encouraged by them. Christian fellowship really is an experience that is like nothing else on earth. After all, we can't fulfill God's command to bear one another's burdens (Galatians 6:2) unless we share them with others.

Finally, a shout out to a brother in Christ, James Jordan at http://pointsoflight.blogspot.com/ for his comment, the first on my blog! Check out his photography - it's very impressive.

No comments: