Thursday, July 10, 2008

Malabrigo madness

I have two Malabrigo FO's to show you!


Up first, we have a Coronet from Knitty.com in Peach Tree, with some variations - fewer cable repeats, more stitches picked up for the hat itself, and no flipped-up cable band.

This was a super-quick project - less than 24 hours from start to finish.



When I was at the Gourmet Yarn Company last week, I got a ball of Malabrigo Worsted in Noviembre. It's a mixture of dark green, rose, orange, and brown. The rose was so pretty in the skein, but as I said before, pink and I don't play nicely together. But one of my friends is moving to a colder state in a few weeks, and she loves dark rose.


I used a very interesting stitch for this scarf. It's called the Linen stitch. Every other stitch is slipped with the yarn on the "wrong" side - in front for the knit rows, in the back for the purl rows. The result is a dense but still draping fabric that DOES NOT CURL (woohoo!). Since each stitch is slipped once, you need larger needles than the ball band suggests (I used size 10 needles with Malabrigo Worsted). I love how the slipped stitches break up the color repeats. Another interesting aspect of this stitch is that the knit side is almost completely flat, like woven fabric, while the purl side has raised bumps.

2 comments:

Beverly said...

Two great FO's! And of course, fabulous yarn. The hat is so cute - I've made that before and the scarf looks wonderful! What a great application of linen stitch. Very nice!

Anonymous said...

So pretty! Mind is I steal a pic of your Malabrigo scarf? It was so pretty in person but I didn't get a pic!